Heavy Lifting - thoughts and web finds by an economist
     I also contribute to Division of Labour Load HL's Front Page
Sunday, September 07, 2008

Blogger climbs Chimney Rock - and lives to tell about it

This morning we woke up at 0-dark-thirty to head to the Lure Lake Spa and Inn to participate in the 2008 Hickory Nut Gorge Olympiad's Climb to the Rock, a 4.1 mile climb to Chimney Rock. I finished third to last, I believe, but I finished. Co-conspirator John T. won the Silver Medal in our age group with a time of 26 minutes or so. I finished in 33+ minutes. Colleague Richard B. joined the fun.

Here are a couple of pictures from the top of the climb:

John T.'s thumbs up:


The finish line:


Here's my MotionBased record of the climb - I definitely need to get a triple crank (I ride a compact double) if I want to take more mountains. Check out the elevation profile overlaid with my speed - not so good. In first gear I averaged only 6mph up the hill, although there were several 12%+ grades and one 20% grade.

The Jeff Gordon 50k charity rally was postponed because of threatened weather from Hannah but this Wednesday night we participate in the time trials at Lowes Motor Speedway. Last time I finished the ten miles in 33+ minutes but that was with platform pedals. Now that I am riding clipless pedals, I am hoping for at least a 10% improvement in time.

Labels:

Comments: Post a Comment



Purchase




Le Chai - galerie du vin



Support



Popularity

Posts that contain Craig Depken per day for the last 90 days.



Contacts

Heavy Lifting's Main Page
Email Me
Atom Feed

WWW
Heavy Lifting




Great Links

Money I Found Today

Heavy Lifting - Firehose style (56k warning)



Recent Posts

- Blogger climbs Chimney Rock - and lives to tell about it




Archives


home


Visitors
Site Meter Blogroll Me!



Credits

Modified maystar design
powered by blogger