Heavy Lifting - thoughts and web finds by an economist
     I also contribute to Division of Labour Load HL's Front Page
Thursday, August 14, 2008

Blogger enters time trial - loses to self

Last night my brother, Richard B. and John T. participated in the 10 mile time trial held at Lowes Motor Speedway. I am still riding with platform pedals (which is going to change as soon as I get a pair of cycling shoes) therefore I was confident that I would be the slowest in our group, and probably one of the slowest amongst the 275+ people who participated.

I impressed myself. I was shooting for finishing in less than 40 minutes, and it became apparent within the second lap (each lap around LMS is 1.5 miles) that I was going to accomplish the 40 minutes with no problem. In the end, I tried to beat 33 minutes but failed to do so because of my noob confusion as to exactly where the finish line was.

Final time: 33 minutes, 8 seconds for an average of 18.11 miles per hour. That sounds somewhat impressive to me, and while I had fun and will try to do the TT again after I get clipless pedals, here are some stark realities:

I was the slowest of all male riders in the 35-39 year bracket - by almost three miles per hour.

I was slower than every male rider in the 65-69 age bracket.

I was slower than every male rider in the 70-74 age bracket.

I was slower than every male rider in the 80-84 age bracket.

I was faster than only five other riders of regular bikes.

Only among the handcyclists did I perform better, although one handcyclist was faster than me.

Full results here and here

I am not demoralized but rather am excited about going out in September to see if I can go a little faster than 18 mph.

Labels:

Comments: Post a Comment



Purchase




Le Chai - galerie du vin



Support



Popularity

Posts that contain Craig Depken per day for the last 90 days.



Contacts

Heavy Lifting's Main Page
Email Me
Atom Feed

WWW
Heavy Lifting




Great Links

Money I Found Today

Heavy Lifting - Firehose style (56k warning)



Recent Posts

- Blogger enters time trial - loses to self




Archives


home


Visitors
Site Meter Blogroll Me!



Credits

Modified maystar design
powered by blogger