Heavy Lifting - thoughts and web finds by an economist
     I also contribute to Division of Labour Load HL's Front Page
Friday, July 06, 2007

A Blast from the past

In the process of trying to salvage a bunch of documents and data from old 3.5" disks, I came across a draft the "personal philosophy" statement that I wrote when I was applying to liberal arts schools back in 1995. At the time, I hadn't defended my dissertation but was a young, budding economist. Today, eleven years later, I am not as young but the personal statement is surprisingly consistent with the way I have lived my life.

It is reassuring to look back on what I wrote eleven years ago and realize that my career has basically evolved the way I hoped (at the time) even if I haven't explicitly returned to this statement:
My main goal in life is to be the best that I can at whatever I attempt. I do not accept false praise nor do I attempt to make myself appear better than I am. As an economist, I strive to remain focused on what economics is about - exploring human behavior in the context of scarcity. I view my research as a way of expanding the understanding of economists and non-economists alike. Thus, my research concepts are purposefully less cryptic and more practical, an approach which I hope will make my research useful to those in and out of academics.

I see myself as an individual who can accommodate any personality, either in or out of the workplace. I seek from others only that which I have earned, be that dislike or admiration - I accept them both, while not pandering for the later. I am a person who stands by my convictions without forcing others to accept them. I deal with people on an individual basis and judge each according to their merit, not their expected or stereotypical value. Being raised in a Christian family, I learned the values of hard work, honesty and a good, living relationship with God. This has helped me to survive many trials in my life, and I hope to continue in this fashion.

Outside of economics, I am an avid reader of literature and philosophy. I enjoy rational discussions about politics, sports, movies and current events. I also enjoy playing soccer, mountain biking, and computer programming. My interests outside of economics are varied but never fail to improve upon my overall knowledge.

I plan to continue my education long after my formal schooling is completed. This is one of my main motivations for being an educator. I have found that the pursuit of knowledge can occur on either side of the podium and that I learn more each time I teach a new group of students. If I improve upon myself, our understanding of economics, and can also show others how to correctly view economic relationships, then I will have considered by career a success.

I wrote this at a very "young" 26 years old with a head full of Ayn Rand. Perhaps this explains why I didn't get a job at a liberal arts school?

Comments: Post a Comment



Purchase




Le Chai - galerie du vin



Support



Popularity

Posts that contain Craig Depken per day for the last 90 days.



Contacts

Heavy Lifting's Main Page
Email Me
Atom Feed

WWW
Heavy Lifting




Great Links

Money I Found Today

Heavy Lifting - Firehose style (56k warning)



Recent Posts

- A Blast from the past




Archives


home


Visitors
Site Meter Blogroll Me!



Credits

Modified maystar design
powered by blogger