Heavy Lifting - thoughts and web finds by an economist
     I also contribute to Division of Labour Load HL's Front Page
Thursday, March 08, 2007

The criminal mind

The front page of this morning's Fort Worth Star-Telegram has a story concerning folks on probation in Tarrant County; there are approximately 20,000 people on provation in our fair county!!

One of the insets is the following:
As a condition of their probation, defendants must pay fines, court costs, probation fees, and, in some cases, restitution to victims...Here are some of the real-life reasons given to Tarrant County probation officers on why a defendant couldn't pay:

  • Can't pay because I made $4,600 last month and I have to eat and live and drive my Corvette

  • Money order flew out the car window on the way here, and I couldn't get it before someone else did.

  • I haven't paid because there is this stereo system I want real bad.

  • Can't pay because I'm paying on my tickets or I'll go to jail.

  • Can't pay my fees because I'm getting a divorce.

  • I mailed the report form before putting in the check.

  • I needed to get loaded real bad.
  • I think the last one is the "best" because it seems the most honest. I have heard some real doozies in my time, but mainly from students trying to make up exams or explain missing a quiz - something rather trivial in the grand scheme of things. On the contrary, lying to your probation officer doesn't seem advisable.

    Comments: Post a Comment



    Purchase




    Le Chai - galerie du vin



    Support



    Popularity

    Posts that contain Craig Depken per day for the last 90 days.



    Contacts

    Heavy Lifting's Main Page
    Email Me
    Atom Feed

    WWW
    Heavy Lifting




    Great Links

    Money I Found Today

    Heavy Lifting - Firehose style (56k warning)



    Recent Posts

    - The criminal mind




    Archives


    home


    Visitors
    Site Meter Blogroll Me!



    Credits

    Modified maystar design
    powered by blogger