Heavy Lifting - thoughts and web finds by an economist
     I also contribute to Division of Labour Load HL's Front Page
Sunday, July 09, 2006

On the WC final

Most either love or hate Italy. As it turns out, I am in the middle. My favorite goalkeeper growing up was Dino Zoff - who played for Italy. The 1982 WC championship was the first I remember and, like a lot of kids, I pulled for the champion. This has spilled over a little to my adult life, although I am not a fan of the diving for which the Italians/Spanish/Portuguese (something about peninsulas?) are famous.

The first goal by France was a reward for acting. Looking at the foul in 1/16 time on my DVR it is clear that incidental contact occurred but not enough to really cause the fall as portrayed. Thus the second half penalty was not called? However, the Italian goal was gorgeous.

This final was not what I predicted; like many I thought a Germany-Brazil rematch with the same outcome. Nevertheless, it was a good tournament even if some might say the Italians had the easier road. Yet they did beat Germany with a beautiful goal and they only gave up two goals the entire tournament. Flops or no flops, that's some amazing defense.

I am interested if Zidane will have any explanation for his behavior in overtime. Arguably he cost France the World Cup. WTF!?!?

Comments:
Rumors are that Materazzi called Zidane a terrorist, refering to his northafrican (Algerian) roots. However, this comes by no means from a reliable source. I just read it on the internet.
 
Post a Comment



Purchase




Le Chai - galerie du vin



Support



Popularity

Posts that contain Craig Depken per day for the last 90 days.



Contacts

Heavy Lifting's Main Page
Email Me
Atom Feed

WWW
Heavy Lifting




Great Links

Money I Found Today

Heavy Lifting - Firehose style (56k warning)



Recent Posts

- On the WC final




Archives


home


Visitors
Site Meter Blogroll Me!



Credits

Modified maystar design
powered by blogger