Heavy Lifting - thoughts and web finds by an economist
     I also contribute to Division of Labour Load HL's Front Page
Tuesday, February 01, 2005

I hate to break it to you...

From this week's Chronicle of Higher Education:
Where in the popular imagination or in scholarly studies is the bourgeois, well-educated, cosmopolitan black gay man? asks Dwight A. McBride, chair of the department of African American studies at Northwestern University.

Sorry, Dwight. I haven't though much about the bourgeois, well-educated, cosmopolitan black gay man. In fact, I have never thought about the bourgeois, well-educated, cosmopolitan black gay man. Probably my fault, I know, but it just never crossed my mind.

Comments:
There was a law professor at SMU (now at American) who wrote articles about the legal rights and discriminations that would fit into this mold. I believe one of his articles was called "Gay Rights for Gay Whites" that discussed the laws differing treatment of the gay whites and gay blacks.
 
I am sure that there is good work done in these areas, but my point was directed at the wording used by the Chronicle..."in the popular imagination?" It would seem that is a different ball of wax than legal discrimination/differences. I take this to mean, how would the black, cosmopolitan, gay man be depicted in popular television shows - would that depiction be consistent with reality...but it turns out that I think most people have not thought about the cosmo, black, gay man, either good or bad, and therefore it seems like a question that is "easy" to answer.
 
Good point Craig. Wayne Brady? Just kidding...sort of.
 
Post a Comment



Purchase




Le Chai - galerie du vin



Support



Popularity

Posts that contain Craig Depken per day for the last 90 days.



Contacts

Heavy Lifting's Main Page
Email Me
Atom Feed

WWW
Heavy Lifting




Great Links

Money I Found Today

Heavy Lifting - Firehose style (56k warning)



Recent Posts

- I hate to break it to you...




Archives


home


Visitors
Site Meter Blogroll Me!



Credits

Modified maystar design
powered by blogger