Heavy Lifting - thoughts and web finds by an economist
     I also contribute to Division of Labour Load HL's Front Page
Friday, January 14, 2005

Good things happening at my Alma Mater

UGA President Michael Adams suggests that academic standards at the University of Georgia are going to increase and tuition hikes are likely.

This is exactly what I had hoped for from this president (at least in terms of academics, we won't discuss the athletic program decisions). I came to UGA in 1987 and left in 1996, matching the incoming and outgoing of previous president Charles Knapp. Knapp was a pretty good president and managed to get the ball rolling on the academics at UGA, especially after the Jan Kemp affair d'football. The upshot was that my undergraduate years were full of partying - the way UGA had been for the previous thirty years - and my graduate years were on the leading period of the ramp up to better quality - HOPE scholarships were instituted during my graduate teaching years.

Hopefully, one day UGA will be up there with Virginia and other high quality state schools - and the value of my degree will increase even as the human capital underlying the degree depreciates (slowly, I hope!!).

Comments: Post a Comment



Purchase




Le Chai - galerie du vin



Support



Popularity

Posts that contain Craig Depken per day for the last 90 days.



Contacts

Heavy Lifting's Main Page
Email Me
Atom Feed

WWW
Heavy Lifting




Great Links

Money I Found Today

Heavy Lifting - Firehose style (56k warning)



Recent Posts

- Good things happening at my Alma Mater




Archives


home


Visitors
Site Meter Blogroll Me!



Credits

Modified maystar design
powered by blogger