Heavy Lifting - thoughts and web finds by an economist
     I also contribute to Division of Labour Load HL's Front Page
Tuesday, August 10, 2004

Back from (nearly) God's Country

Had a nice if abbreviated vacation in (nearly) God's Country, namely the southeast. Visited friends and family in South and North Carolina, which is close enough to Georgia to make me homesick. We christened Campbell and enjoyed a party with family and friends.

Now I am back in Texas where it is brutally hot, there are too many people and too many cars, and it seems that my local government in Arlington still wants to cram a new football stadium down our throats, for a meager $325 million in public debt.

I am receiving too many phone calls about the stadium proposal that I don't have time to deal with them all. Remember folks, publicly funded stadiums are not good investments, regardless of what you hear.

The Cowboys sent out a nice four page color brochure describing the benefits of a new stadium in Arlington. I don't remember hearing about the team doing this in Irving, Grapevine, or Dallas, so it is likely the case that the Cowboys feel Arlington is their last hope for a publicly funded stadium. I hope Arlingtonians have the good sense to turn this proposal down, but I have my doubts.

Oh well, back to the salt mines...

Comments: Post a Comment



Purchase




Le Chai - galerie du vin



Support



Popularity

Posts that contain Craig Depken per day for the last 90 days.



Contacts

Heavy Lifting's Main Page
Email Me
Atom Feed

WWW
Heavy Lifting




Great Links

Money I Found Today

Heavy Lifting - Firehose style (56k warning)



Recent Posts

- Back from (nearly) God's Country




Archives


home


Visitors
Site Meter Blogroll Me!



Credits

Modified maystar design
powered by blogger