Heavy Lifting - thoughts and web finds by an economist
     I also contribute to Division of Labour Load HL's Front Page
Wednesday, July 07, 2004

Back from playing economist

I am back from Vancouver and the 2004 Western Economic Association Meetings. The meetings were in Vancouver, British Columbia, which was a nice break from the heat of North Texas - temperatures ranged in the mid 70s. The paper presentations were interesting, the food was great, and the beer was cold.

No fireworks on Canada Day (July 1) because of an accident a few years ago, so I did not get a chance to live vicariously through a good Canadian fireworks display.

My major gripe about Vancouver is the extremely large number of coffee shops that seem to serve everything but coffee. The negative externality of the latte has thoroughly turned me off of the drink. Someone orders a triple low fat, decaf, espresso, strawberry, lo-fat whipped latte and the next thing I know I have stood in line for ten minutes to get a simple cup of coffee.

If it was only Starbucks, then I would blame it on idiotic American management - lots of coffees can be sold in the time it takes to make a latte, someone should (has?) do the math. However, the problem is pervasive throughout the entire stand-alone bohemian-chic corporate-coffee house - Starbucks, Blendz, Canadian Coffee, Dunkin' Donuts, etc.

A new plank has been added to the Depken Doctrine - along with banning flip-flops from public places except for beaches and baths (hell, they are banning cigarettes from all public places), I move to severely curtail the propogation of the latte.

Otherwise, I am now back and have a few things to pipe off about in the next few days.

Comments: Post a Comment



Purchase




Le Chai - galerie du vin



Support



Popularity

Posts that contain Craig Depken per day for the last 90 days.



Contacts

Heavy Lifting's Main Page
Email Me
Atom Feed

WWW
Heavy Lifting




Great Links

Money I Found Today

Heavy Lifting - Firehose style (56k warning)



Recent Posts

- Back from playing economist




Archives


home


Visitors
Site Meter Blogroll Me!



Credits

Modified maystar design
powered by blogger