Heavy Lifting - thoughts and web finds by an economist
     I also contribute to Division of Labour Load HL's Front Page
Tuesday, June 29, 2004

Off to Canada...

I leave tomorrow for Vancouver, British Columbia, and the annual Western Economic Association meetings. These meetings are fun because a lot of sports economics papers are presented and it is interesting to see what other people are up to. I present on Thursday morning and in the afternoon discuss an interesting paper on the tournament structure of track and field.

I had to pipe in on the V.P. Cheney and the F-bomb thrown in the U.S. Senate. Frankly, I think it is disgusting to use that type of language in the Senate or the House. I earlier lambasted Frank Lautenberg for a speech degrading the President and many in his administration as Chicken Hawks, I complained that the level of rhetoric had deteriorated. Well, Dick Cheney brought it to a new low by using that type of language in the Senate. If he wanted to say such a thing to Sen. Leahy, which I fully support given Leahy's heavy handed approach to all things Republican, he should have done so in the cloak room or somewhere else.

The F-bomb is a very unique word in that it is conveys various levels of emotion depending upon inflection and timeliness. If Cheney felt that Leahy was riding him a bit too hard on Haliburtin, etc., then by all means he should say what he thinks, especially if it needs to be said, just don't do it on the Senate Floor.

Would-be president John F-bomb Kerry now says that anyone who uses that language is desparate. There's a case of the pot calling the kettle sooty.


Oh well, hopefully the news in Canada will be better, but most likely I won't know because I am going to unplug for a few days. Going to take the camera and see if I can't come up with a couple good pictures out of a few hundred.

Comments: Post a Comment



Purchase




Le Chai - galerie du vin



Support



Popularity

Posts that contain Craig Depken per day for the last 90 days.



Contacts

Heavy Lifting's Main Page
Email Me
Atom Feed

WWW
Heavy Lifting




Great Links

Money I Found Today

Heavy Lifting - Firehose style (56k warning)



Recent Posts

- Off to Canada...




Archives


home


Visitors
Site Meter Blogroll Me!



Credits

Modified maystar design
powered by blogger