Heavy Lifting - thoughts and web finds by an economist
     I also contribute to Division of Labour Load HL's Front Page
Wednesday, April 21, 2004


Life as a bureaucrat


My life is mainly that of a paper pusher these days. I got into the teaching gig to have days off in Spring so that I could play golf, think about economics, write a few papers, and generally be lazy. Then I got tenure. Now, I get to sign forms, file papers, write memos, answer the phone, and keep up with my colleagues and students instead of doing what I love.

There are some moments of levity, however, as in this email:

From: XXX
Sent: Tuesday, April 20, 2004 11:25 AM
To: XXX
Subject: Excepting PhD students for Fall 2004 and Spring 2005

Dr. H,

I am interested in the PhD in Business Administration with a
concentration in Economics program. I saw on the website that the
Economics Department is not excepting PhD students for Fall 2004 and
Spring 2005. I was wondering when the department would be excepting
students, and if the program is full for Fall 2004 and Spring 2005.

Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,

name withheld

The letter does not bode well for PHD work, although the person is persistently wrong.

Comments: Post a Comment



Purchase




Le Chai - galerie du vin



Support



Popularity

Posts that contain Craig Depken per day for the last 90 days.



Contacts

Heavy Lifting's Main Page
Email Me
Atom Feed

WWW
Heavy Lifting




Great Links

Money I Found Today

Heavy Lifting - Firehose style (56k warning)



Recent Posts




Archives


home


Visitors
Site Meter Blogroll Me!



Credits

Modified maystar design
powered by blogger